The Answer to Better Health, Strength, and Happiness…
The Wim Hof Method is SIMPLE.
Wim teaches people that they can regain control of their systems by breathing, using a little cold exposure, and also using their mind and belief to know they can.
We are actually able to control the previously unconscious regulation of the body. We are perfectly able to maintain health, strength, and happiness, he says.
This type of simple technique, The Wim Hof Method may be even more effective than Mindfulness because we are able to tap into the deeper parts of our brain.
This is the SHORT OUTLINE of the technique. For the full story, check out the article.
[If you’re inclined to try these breathing exercises, it’s important to remember to begin slowly. Remember you’re trying to also keep the nervous system relaxed, so don’t over-do it. You’ll most likely feel light-headed for a while trying it initially, so make sure you’re in a wise location and setting before you begin.]
Check Out Wim’s Online Course
Download The Iceman’s Inner Fire iPhone App
This iPhone app is pretty cool because it not only guides you, but tracks your progress and consistency of practice. I also enjoy hearing Wim’s powerful voice coaching me, which helps amplify the effect in my opinion.
- Watch Wim personally guide you through the breathing exercise and cold immersion techniques
- Record your progress on the built in calendar (both breathing retention and exercise reps while holding the breath)
- Added Tips and Guidance
THE WIM HOF METHOD
The breathing is similar to yogic breathing, known as pranayama. It goes beyond most yoga practitioner’s understanding however, to bring even more powerful results.
1. Sit Comfortably or Lie Down.
- If you’re an experienced meditator you may want to sit. Wim often has his beginning students lie on their back, so as to keep the spine long, and lungs able to fully expand.
2. Optional Warm Up to Get the Lungs Prepared:
- Warm up by taking 15 deep breaths, focusing on breathing in more at the top of the inhale than normal. Feel your belly distend and pause for a moment at the end of both the inhale and exhale.
3. 30 Power Breaths
- Deep breathe in fully and then let it go (but not all the way, don’t force it out). Do this 20-30 times.
- You’ll likely feel light-headed.
- As you’re breathing, pay attention to what you’re sensing in your body and mind. Are there any areas that feel blocked or restricted? Imagine you’re breathing light and love into all parts of your body and mind, releasing any suppressed traumas or dramas in your body, mind, and field. If you get emotional, don’t resist it. With each vibrational embrace your energy elevates. You’re helping to bring more of you online.
4. Breath Hold
- At the end of your last deep breath, EXHALE fully and hold the breath for long as you can without straining (usually about 1-3 minutes). Feel the oxygen moving throughout your body.
- You can also add in push-ups or yoga poses while you’re waiting to breathe. Wim says you’ll eventually feel stronger than when you do this while breathing.
- When you feel a gag-type reflex, BREATHE IN fully, letting the belly fully distend and hold for 15 seconds or so. Notice you have more control over directing the oxygen and energy to go into any areas that are restricted, bringing light to all of your body. Practice conscious surrendering and letting go, going deeper into any tension, feeling it dissipate and the area illuminate.
5. Activate the Energy Flow
- You can optionally TAP the BELLY, then the NECK, and then the HEAD.
- You can also contract internal muscles like the pelvic floor, and the abdominals to push the energy up, these are known as bandas in the yoga world.
- These actions will aide turning on the primitive brain stem.
- Known as Kundalini activation, you are energizing the flow of prana (life force) up the spinal column through the major chakra centers.
6. A Powerful Morning Ritual
- Try making this a daily morning practice. Start with one or two cycles, and then gradually add more over time.
- Adding yoga postures and exercise while holding the breath can be even more effective.
- Being present to what’s happening in your body is a key element.
- Make sure you allow a few minutes after to scan your body and mind, and to cultivate the new sense of aliveness you feel.
[Again, it’s wise to try this with someone nearby to check on you in case you pass out or something. Be mindful of signs of hypothermia.]
1. Cold Showers
In the beginning of your training, start with your normal warm shower, and before getting out, gradually increase the length of time under a cold shower. After several times doing this, try showering only in cold water. Eventually this becomes comfortable and even preferable because of the increased energy you feel after getting out.
2. Ice Baths
When this starts to feel better, eventually try ice baths. You can use 2 or 3 bags of ice from the store in a tub. Wait for the ice to melt a bit (you can try adding a little salt to speed up the melting). You can also just go outdoors if it’s cold.
When you allow the cold to penetrate you in a relaxed manner, and you increase breathing deeper, the carbon dioxide goes out and oxygen goes in to roam the body freely. Your pH goes up (becomes more alkaline), and your cells are able to produce more efficient and effective combustion to keep you warm.
You also activate the brain stem. The pituitary gland for example, secretes adrenalin which under dangerous situations will override the thinking brain and activate the more anciently developed part of the “reptilian” brain that stimulates the systems to keep you physically vital and able to survive a dangerous situation.
A controlled stress hormone system works like medicine, an uncontrolled one creates acidity and we become victims because of our lack of control. This is due to lack of exertion and responding naturally to the environment (not shielding yourself from it).
Breathing while in cold water is very difficult, but you can gain better control over the body, and once you’ve preformed this, you will gain more control and are able to perform better. The cold is a merciless, but righteous teacher. It cuts through the bullshit and trains the vascular system. Eventually the tiny muscles around the veins and arteries get stronger and are able to help increase the flow of blood and oxygen even in freezing temperatures.
Try the Wim Hof Method regularly at home to see the results yourself. We’d love to hear your comments about how it’s worked for you.
- Boost Your Immune System To Bulletproof Yourself And Feel Fully Charged
- Become A “Super” Version Of Yourself In Just 10 Short, Life Transforming Weeks
- Learn Ancient Techniques In Combination With Modern Cutting Edge Strategies
To Increase Your Health And Well-Being
- Feel Energized During The Day,
While Sleeping Like A Baby At Night